From: Angela Harutyunyan < email@example.com >
Date: Apr 24, 2012
Subject: STIP: Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships,AmericanUniversityBeirut
Advertisement for Postdoctoral Fellows
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Arts and Humanities
TheAmericanUniversityofBeirutinvites applications for its newly established Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Arts and Humanities, which will begin September 2012. The normal duration of appointment will be one year, although some fellows may be considered for a second year at the conclusion of their first semester. Appointees will be attached to a relevant department and will be expected to remain in residence for the duration of the academic year.
The competition is open to recent recipients of the PhD whose research and teaching interests involve one or more of the following
disciplines: Arabic language; Arabic literature; archaeology; art history; English language; English literature; fine arts (visual arts, theatre, and music); history; and philosophy. AUB is particularly interested in innovative work that explores humanistic study from multiple perspectives and pushes disciplinary boundaries.
– Applicants must have received their doctoral degrees no later than 30 days and no earlier than five years prior to the appointment start date;
Applications must include the following:
– Letter of interest;
– Curriculum vitae;
– Statement of research interests (2-3 pages), specifically, research to be undertaken during the fellowship and proposed research product;
– Dissertation abstract or summary (1 page);
– Samples of publications (or dissertation extracts)
– Statement of teaching interests and experience;
– Three letters of recommendation;
– Copy of official transcript or letter of confirmation from dissertation committee chair indicating that the degree will be granted by the appointment start date.
Individuals who have held other postdoctoral fellowships are not barred from applying.
Stipend, benefits, and other advantages of the Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Arts and Humanities include:
– Annual stipend of $45,000;
– Co-pay health coverage under the University’s Health Insurance Plan;
– Relocation allowance and housing subsidy as described in the AUB Faculty Handbook;
– Eligibility for travel grant in the second year of extended fellowships;
– Teaching load of one course per semester;
– Participation in Arts and Humanities core group activities;
– Access to training and support from the Center for Teaching and Learning; the Academic Core Processes and Systems Unit; the Office of Grants and Contracts; and the University Writing Center.
Candidates with experience in or exposure to innovative approaches to research and teaching are strongly encouraged to apply.
AUB will begin to review applications on June 1 and continue to receive applications until the positions are filled.
Application material should be sent to:
Office of the Provost
3 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, 8th Floor
Office of the Provost
PO Box 11-0236
Riad El Solh
Electronic submissions are highly encouraged and may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org